Rutan & Tucker has assembled a team of highly qualified professionals from several practice areas to provide representation to companies engaged in the fashion, apparel and beauty business. We have combined the talents and experience of our corporate and transactional attorneys, litigators, intellectual property lawyers, and employment and labor law practitioners to provide creative, effective and efficient solutions to the many complex legal and business issues that face apparel industry companies in the competitive global markets.
Located in Orange County, the home of some of the top echelon action sports and apparel companies in the world, our firm is uniquely positioned to assist and support our clients with legal professionals who know and understand the apparel industry. We keep abreast of market trends and issues, regularly attend major apparel tradeshows and events, and are active in key industry organizations giving us firsthand insight into industry developments.
As a result of our expertise and experience in numerous areas of practice, our attorneys are familiar with evolving legal issues and are able to handle specialized and complex problems in a timely and efficient manner. We offer specialized services customized to the needs of our clients, which range from start-ups to large public companies that are industry leaders, including manufacturers, distribution companies and retail operations.
Our apparel practice group attorneys structure and form business entities, assist in capitalization and financing structures, draft agreements with employees and suppliers, and negotiate transactions. We also negotiate licensing, distribution and marketing agreements, factoring agreements, letters of credit, daily business contracts and commercial and retail leases. We also assist clients in obtaining patents, copyrights and trademarks, and aggressively protect our clients’ intellectual property rights through litigation in state and federal courts, as well as adversarial proceedings in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Our team has expertise in the following areas:
• Business formation and operations, including assistance in capitalization and financing structures, drafting buy-sell agreements and executive compensation agreements
• Mergers and acquisitions, business combinations, strategic partnerships, and growth and exit strategies
• Private equity financing, corporate finance, factoring and secured transactions
• Distribution, marketing, licensing and merchandising agreements
• Labor and employment
• Leasing of manufacturing, showroom and retail facilities
• Litigation and dispute resolution
• Intellectual property, including patents, trademark, copyright and e-commerce protection
• Stock and equity transactions
• Advertising and marketing law including sweepstakes, contests, and other types of sales promotions
• FTC and social media platform compliance and solicitation of user-generated content
• Influencer and model collaborations and agreements
• Preparation of website and privacy policies