Rutan & Tucker’s Cybersecurity, Privacy and Corporate Governance Practice Group is comprised of highly qualified professionals with specialized knowledge and expertise in issues concerning privacy, data protection, cybersecurity, and corporate governance issues related thereto. The combined talents and experience of our attorneys from our corporate, intellectual property, insurance, employment law and trial practices provide practical, comprehensive and efficient solutions for our clients’ many complex legal and business cybersecurity and privacy issues.
Our attorneys advise a wide range of clients, including technology, start-up, manufacturing, retail, medical, and finance companies. Our team has expertise in the legal and business aftermath of data breaches, privacy-related class action litigation, and transactions involving data protection and security issues.
Rutan offers proactive advisory services designed to identify and mitigate regulatory, compliance and technical risks. These include risk assessments, analysis of applicable laws, review of existing practices, and website audits. We advise clients on the collection, use, sharing and commercialization of third party and customer data, including negotiating and drafting data sharing and co-op agreements and data security clauses in broader third party vendor agreements, as well as conducting unique data regulatory compliance and data integrity due diligence in strategic transactions. Our attorneys also advise companies regarding the purchase of emergent cyber and related coverage to mitigate the risks of potential data breaches through insurance before they occur.
- Advising e-commerce companies regarding a data security breaches involving compromised encryption methods for credit card information
- Representing a software company in the prosecution of claims against a former officer accused of accessing and taking without permission data from the company’s computers
- Representing a leading multi-billion dollar cybersecurity company in the development of its patent portfolio where we have increased its patent holdings by over 1000% in three years
- Drafting privacy policies for online retailers
- Representing a cutting-edge cybersecurity start-up company focusing on security analytics
- Counseling cybersecurity and software-based clients on dealing with patentable subject matter challenges caused by Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank Int’l
- Developing 100+ patent portfolio directed to on-chip security for the one of the world’s largest semiconductor manufacturers
- Counseling companies on the downside risks of inadequate security policies, the duties of board members and managers, regulatory issues, and cybersecurity incident response practices