Mr. Harrison is a partner in the Government & Regulatory Law Section and founding partner of its Education Law Practice Group. Ski specializes in the representation of public school and community college districts, as well as personnel matters for public agencies. He represents school districts throughout California in transactional matters, and has a particular expertise in negotiating agreements related to the impacts of new residential development upon school facilities.
Mr. Harrison has a great deal of experience in personnel matters for public agencies, including collective bargaining and representing the employer in employee discipline and appeal hearings. He has successfully defended or settled employment matters involving allegations of sexual harassment, discrimination, and violations of due process. Ski is also knowledgeable about ADA, FSLA, and FMLA matters and has developed numerous policies in these areas.
Mr. Harrison also advises public agencies in California on compliance with the Brown Act, and conflict of interest issues. Mr. Harrison is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell©.
Areas of Expertise
- Education Law
- Public Sector Labor and Employment
- Municipal Finance
Legal and Litigation Experience
- General or special counsel services to several school districts including Saddleback Valley Unified, Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified, Murrieta Valley Unified, Redondo Beach Unified School District, Solana Beach Elementary, Huntington Beach Union High, Laguna Beach Unified, Fullerton Elementary, Menifee Union, Brea Olinda Unified, Pomona Unified, Adelanto Elementary, Victor Elementary, Sulphur Springs Elementary, Cypress Elementary School District, Palomar Community College District and Coast Community College District.
- Formation of over 50 community facilities districts (CFDs) for school districts to fund new or expanded school facilities, including validation actions and bond sales resulting in over $300 million in funds for school facilities.
- Advise school districts and other public agencies on conflict of interest questions involving elected officials and employees.
- Represent public agencies in employee discipline matters. Successfully defended several administrative appeals of employee terminations. Also served as legal counsel to various hearing officers on over 50 employee discipline appeals, and have served as the hearing officer.
- Represent public agencies in employer-employee bargaining negotiations, including at-the-table and behind-the-scenes representation. Additionally, represent public agencies in impasse and arbitration proceedings related to the collective bargaining process, including hearings before mediators and arbitrators.
- Represent school districts in negotiations with builders/developers re adequate school facilities. Negotiated over 100 Impact Mitigation Agreements providing funds for school facilities.
- Represent school districts in pupil discipline matters, including expulsions and appeals to the County Board of Education.
- General personnel services for other public agencies, including cities, redevelopment agencies, fire districts and water districts.
- Represent school districts in litigation against developers and other public agencies re mitigating the impact of new development upon district facilities, including the filing of over 20 individual lawsuits.
- Advise public agencies regarding compliance with the Brown Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Labor Standards Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Assist public agencies in the development and amendment of personnel policies, employment applications, and employment contracts.
- Advise school districts on the disposal of surplus properties and/or exchange of property.
- Advise school districts on construction contracts.
- Conducting personnel investigations for various public agencies.