Mr. Pai is a real estate and finance partner at Rutan & Tucker, LLP with substantial experience representing lenders, developers and landlords in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of real estate and finance transactions. Mr. Pai has represented institutional lenders, second lien lenders and borrowers in a broad range of finance transactions including real estate secured loans (construction, permanent, mezzanine and affordable housing loans) and non-real estate secured asset-based and second lien financing transactions. Mr. Pai’s practice also includes representing buyers and sellers in connection with the acquisition and sale of real property with a special emphasis on multi-family housing properties.
Mr. Pai received his Juris Doctor from Columbia University School of Law. During law school, Mr. Pai served as Executive Editor of the Columbia Journal of Environmental Law and was a member of the founding class of the Columbia Real Estate Law Society. Mr. Pai graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles with a Bachelor of Arts in Business/Economics and a minor in accounting from the UCLA Anderson School of Business.
Areas of Expertise
- Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Sales
- Asset Based Loans
- Affordable Housing Developments
Representative Matters and Clients
- Acquisition, disposition and financing of multi-family housing properties and commercial office properties.
- Drafting and negotiating loan documentation for both lenders and borrowers in connection with real estate secured financings (including in connection with private and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans) and asset-based or cash flow loans.
- Loan restructures, workouts, foreclosures and deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure.
- Entity formation, including limited and general partnerships, joint ventures, limited liability companies and corporations.
- Representative clients include multifamily housing owners and operators, landlords, institutional lenders, finance companies, private real estate investors, and general businesses.
- Speaker, Non-Recourse Loans and Guaranties - "Bad Boys and Debt - A Real Estate Tale," YPA360 Conference, University of California Irvine, August 2012