Alyssa Roy focuses her practice on construction, land use, and complex commercial litigation. She brings her experience in the construction industry to Rutan, leveraging her personal background with contractors to counsel project owners, general contractors, and specialty contractors in presenting and resolving construction disputes, advising on project issues during construction, and drafting and negotiating complex commercial construction contracts. As a litigator, Alyssa has represented clients involved in contract disputes, construction claims, delay claims, prompt payment disputes, licensure disputes, land use matters, administrative appeals and hearings, development fee challenges, code enforcement disputes, business torts, and design defect claims.
Alyssa’s prior work experience includes a full-time externship for California Supreme Court Chief Justice Tani G. Cantil-Sakauye.
While at University of San Francisco School of Law, Alyssa and her moot court team won the 2013 Robert F. Wagner National Labor and Employment Law Moot Court Competition. She was also the External Advocacy Director of Moot Court, and received CALI Awards for Excellence in Civil Procedure and in Science and the Law.
- Represented a general contractor on contract and claim issues during construction of two large public infrastructure projects.
- Defended a specialty HVAC contractor in federal court against a subcontractor’s claims for lost labor productivity, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Defended a manufacturer against design defect claims in a personal injury suit.
- Successfully obtained a preliminary injunction against a City’s pre-hearing collection of assessed penalties.
- Successfully represented a residential real estate developer in vacating a healthcare district’s unlawfully enacted development fees.
- Successfully resolved a payment dispute using a 998 offer to compromise in favor of a residential contractor.
- Representation of contractors and owners in drafting public and private construction contracts, and with regard to public and private construction disputes, schedule analysis and delay claims, mechanics’ lien claims, payment disputes, bond and indemnification claims, and other contract and project disputes.
- Representation of developers challenging development fees and administrative penalties.
- Obtained favorable trial decision finding that retail center owner had not violated planned community zoning ordinance.
- Defended commercial corrugator entity in federal court against former operating manager and broker’s multi-million dollar claims for alleged breach of contract and intentional interference with contractual relations. After filing dispositive defensive summary judgment motion, settled case on very favorable terms.
- Represented a general contractor in multi-party litigation, presenting breach of contract and lien claims, defending against Owner and Subcontractor claims, and settling on very favorable terms.
- Represented a general contractor in a payment dispute with its subcontractor, settling on favorable terms after taking subcontractor’s superintendent’s deposition.
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Member, Legal Advisory Committee, Associated General Contractors of California