Clifford Frieden’s practice focuses on real estate litigation, including title insurance disputes, specific performance, quiet title, homeowner disputes, commercial lease disputes; corporate and partnership disputes, including trade secret and unfair competition; bank litigation, representing lenders in judicial foreclosures, receiverships, and enforcement of guaranties; construction litigation; and defense of attorney malpractice litigation. Cliff was managing partner of the firm from 1999 through 2001.
Representative clients have included title insurance companies, escrow companies, mortgage lending corporation, engineering consulting firm, law firms, corporate installer of epoxy product, financial institutions, entrepreneurs, and owners of real property.
Areas of Expertise
- Real Estate Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Financial Institutions
- Attorney Malpractice Defense
- Successfully obtained quiet title judgment placing title to property in client who had been defrauded by another who had stolen title to the property.
- Successfully litigated multi-million dollar lien priority dispute involving competing deeds of trust on land subdivided for development.
- Represented mortgage lending corporation in action to reform agreement in securitized transaction.,
- Successfully resolved action by hard money lender against owner of real property defeating foreclosure where deed of trust was shown to be legally defective.
- Obtained judgment against lender seeking to cancel reconveyance of million dollar deed of trust, thereby freeing client’s property of substantial lien.
- Litigated a number of partnership disputes involving various types of commercial enterprises.,
- Successfully defended action to set aside foreclosure against valuable commercial property for prominent developer.
- Defended title insurance company in action brought by large group of homeowners alleging bad faith in connection with alleged title defect.
- Litigated variety of real estate disputes including easements, quiet title, forged instruments, escrow litigation, boundary disputes and homeowner association disputes.
- Settled complex multi-million dollar action for major financial institution after successfully obtaining substantial right to attach order against defendants.
- Successfully defended financial institutions on lender liability claims.
- Substantial experience in judicial foreclosure actions and anti-deficiency issues, appointment of receiver, guarantor liability and writs of attachment.
- Prosecuted and defended cases involving unfair competition and trade secrets.
- Settled numerous construction litigation claims.
- Defended law firms in attorney malpractice litigation.
News & Insights
- State Appellate Court Delivers Twist in Quiet Title Action, Los Angeles Daily Journal, January 2012
- Speaker, “The Law of Lis Pendens” at First American Title (2010)
- Speaker, “Expunging Lis Pendens” at Fidelity National Title Insurance Co. (2007)
- Speaker, Boundary Law Issues in California presented by Lorman Education Services (2003)
- Speaker at Seminar for First American Title Insurance Company (1997)
- Speaker at Orange County Bar Association Title Insurance Section “Title Insurance Super Seminar” (1997)
- Speaker at Financial Lawyers Section of Orange County Bar Association “Assignment of Rents” (1996)
- Speaker at California Escrow Association “Developments in Escrow Cases” (1989)
- Published article on escrows for California Escrow Association
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- Southern California “Super Lawyers” 2010-2018
- Southern California “Super Lawyers” Business Edition, 2012
- AV® Preemininent™ rating with LexisNexis/Martindale Hubbell – Community Affiliations – Board Member
- Orange County Chapter, National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame (2006-2009)
- Board Member, American Red Cross Orange County Chapter (1996-2001)
- Board Member and Executive Committee Member, Volunteer Center of Orange County (1986-1988)
- UCLA Alumni Association, Bruin Boosters
- Mentor, Orange County Bar Association Mentor Program 2007-2009
Memberships & Associations
- Orange County Bar Director (1989-1991)
- Chair, Judiciary Committee of the Orange County Bar Association (1986-87)
- Delegate to the California State Bar Convention (1980-81, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993-1995)
- Director, Attorneys Insurance Mutual Risk Retention Group
- Member, William P. Gray American Inn of Court 2008-2017