Danielle Serbin is an associate in the firm’s Trial Department. Ms. Serbin’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including class action defense, trademark infringement, cybersecurity, data privacy, and business litigation. Ms. Serbin has considerable experience handling all aspects of pre-trial, trial, post-trial, and appellate proceedings, before state and federal courts.
Ms. Serbin’s practice also involves providing advice and counsel to clients in the cybersecurity and data privacy arena. She has experience drafting corporate incident response plans and privacy policies, and advising companies on compliance with international, federal, state, and local laws and regulations governing privacy, social media, data security, and related issues. Ms. Serbin also has experience with data breach crisis management matters, and has assisted several companies in the immediate aftermath of a data breach.
In addition to her legal practice, Ms. Serbin is an active member of her community. She is a graduate of the Anti-Defamation League Glass Institute Program, and is on the Board of Directors of NextGen Orange County, an organization committed to building an inclusive and connected community through meaningful volunteer, social, educational, and philanthropic activities.
Before joining Rutan, Ms. Serbin worked at an international law firm, and served as a law clerk to the Honorable Miranda M. Du in the District of Nevada.
- Served as lead counsel in a 5-day federal jury trial, representing an individual who was physically abused and harassed by agents of the United States government. The jury awarded the client over $500,000 for the violation of his civil rights. For their efforts in this matter, the Orange County Public Law Center awarded Ms. Serbin and the trial team the 2017 “Attorneys of the Year” award.
- Served as lead senior associate defending major telecommunications company against alleged breach of contract claims.
Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action brought against a major ride-sharing company relating to a breach of driver personal information.
- Successfully defended a large financial software company in a putative class action involving the alleged improper sharing of consumers’ private information.
- Served as the lead associate involved in the incident response efforts for a major social media company, which was one of the largest data breaches in history.
Other Representative Matters
- After defeating class certification, secured case-terminating sanctions for spoliation of evidence in long-running action against pharmacy benefits managers (PBMs).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of major sports apparel company in a breach of contract and business tort lawsuit in which competitor sought over $100 million in damages.
- Authored United States Supreme Court amicus brief in FLSA matter on behalf of public entities.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Rutan & Tucker, LLP.