Morgan Gallagher has assisted numerous private and public clients throughout California with land use, real estate, municipal, water, and environmental law matters. Morgan also serves as the Deputy City Attorney for the City of La Quinta.
Morgan attended the University of California, Davis and graduated from the College of Natural Resources with a Major in Community and Regional Development with emphases in Policy, Planning, Organization, and Management. At Davis, she was a member of the NCAA Division I Track and Field team and was awarded the Outstanding Graduating Senior Award of 2008. In 2013, she graduated magna cum laude from California Western School of Law. During law school, she was the Vice President of the Business Law Society, Co-Editor of the Environmental Law Journal, a legal intern at the City of San Diego City Attorney’s Office, and a legal intern at the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services. Prior to law school, Morgan was an environmental consultant for six years, assisting clients throughout California with CEQA, NEPA, permitting, and land use entitlements.
Morgan is a frequent speaker on various land use, real estate, and environmental law matters.
Areas of Expertise
- Land Use Entitlement
- California Environmental Quality Act
- Real Estate Acquisition and Disposition
- National Environmental Policy Act
- Water Quality Permitting
- General Plans and Specific Plans
- Stormwater – Construction General Permit, Industrial General Permit, and MS4
- Infrastructure & Public Works
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Election Law and Political Reform Act
- Renewable Energy Siting and Permitting
- Initiative and Referendum
- Housing Policy and Law
- Subdivision Map Act
- Coastal Act
- LAFCO and Annexation
- Historical Resources
- Advised major homebuilder on entitlement strategy, process, and CEQA compliance.
- Successfully managed siting, environmental compliance, and permitting for a $500 million dollar hospital improvement project.
- Assisted international shopping center developer with a number of land use entitlements and real estate transactions.
- Assisted client in obtaining permits from the Army Corps of Engineers, California Department of Fish & Wildlife, and California Department of Transportation.
- Counsel for successful entitlement of highly controversial retail center.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated complex Development Agreement for office center.
- Assisted with entitlement of multi-million dollar renovation of mixed-use center.
- Advised major grocery chain on entitlements for new and expanded stores.
- Assisted in structuring and entitling a complex, controversial public-private partnership project.
- Aging Wastewater Plants and Infrastructure as a P3 Opportunity, P3 Water Summit, April 4, 2018
- Fall Land Use Cases Update, Rutan & Tucker, LLP MCLE, December 11, 2017
- Crafting the Specific Plan, Building Industry Association Annual Conference, June 29, 2017
- Fall CEQA Cases Update, Rutan & Tucker, LLP MCLE, October 10, 2016
News & Insights
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Co-Chair, National Committee for American Public Works Association
- Programs Committee, Building Industry Association – Orange County Chapter
- Member, Urban Land Institute of Orange County
- Member, NAIOP Southern California Chapter
- Member, Orange County Women Lawyers Association