Paul Aherne represents prime contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in both construction litigation and transactional matters.
He has over 35 years of experience in construction litigation including representing contractors in both federal and state court, administrative proceedings, arbitration and mediation. His administrative hearing experience includes trying cases before the ASBCA, VABCA and the Court of Claims.
He regularly assists clients in the review and negotiation of prime contracts, subcontracts, teaming agreements and joint venture agreements.
He has extensive experience in preparing and prosecuting construction claims through mediation/arbitration and trial. He represents contractors in both the building industry as well as on civil and engineering projects.
He has spoken and taught extensively on Construction law related issues. He has written numerous publications on construction law topics. He is a member of the American Bar Association (Forum on the Construction Industry, Public Contracts, and Litigation sections).
Mr. Aherne is a board member of St. Anthony’s Foundation in San Francisco and is involved in other nonprofit work in San Francisco.
Representative Litigation Matters
- US Court of Claims – Represented a commercial building contractor in negotiating a settlement in excess of $20 million.
- State Court – Represented a general contractor through trial on a complex landslide/construction defect dispute. Resolved favorably for the general contractor.
- ASBCA – Represented a specialty contractor on a series of claims against the federal government regarding the modernization of a USAF facility.
- Mediation – Represented a general contractor in a complex mediation proceeding regarding the construction of the large hospital project.
- Arbitration – Represented the owner in a dispute with the general contractor regarding the time and cost to complete a condominium project. Substantial award in favor of the owner.
Representative Transactional Matters
- Represented commercial contractor in negotiating a $1 billion contract for the construction of new facility for a tech company.
- Represented a general contractor in negotiating the close out of a substantial contract with both owner and subcontractors after a termination for convenience.
- Represented the general contractor in negotiating an IDD contract which included design and construction.
- Represented the general contractor in negotiating a purchase agreement from a foreign company in excess of $10 million of specially manufactured building materials.