Hani Z. Sayed
Hani is in the business of protecting his clients’ inventions, technology, designs and brands. He knows that in order to be an effective advocate for his clients, he has to fully understand their businesses, objectives, technologies, competitors and the industries where they operate.
His experience is technology extensive and covers products, processes and designs in mechanical, health care, information technology, material sciences, medical devices, computer networking, memory devices, electronics, gaming, apparel, nutritional supplements, biotechnology along with entertainment, sports and media.
As a seasoned patent attorney, he prepares, files and prosecutes patent and trademark applications in front of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and foreign files both patents and trademarks around the world. Hani also negotiates and drafts patent and technology licensing agreements, Patent Development Agreements, University and Military contracts relating to IP development, and due diligence in mergers and acquisitions.
Hani has significant experience in the automotive industry. Having strong connections in Detroit and being licensed to practice law in the state of Michigan, many OEMs, tier 1 suppliers and aftermarket manufacturers look to Hani for guidance in IP portfolio management, brand protection and IP enforcement. He is a regular at automotive industry associations.
Hani is Rutan’s Department Head of the Intellectual Property Section and also heads the Automotive Industry and Life Sciences groups.
Additionally, he is an adjunct professor at the University of California, San Diego where he teaches courses in Intellectual Property Law, Patent Prosecution and Advanced Issues in Intellectual Property Law.
Hani is licensed to practice in the States of California, Arizona, Illinois, Michigan and the United States Patent Office.
News & Insights
- “Managing the Risks and Seizing the Opportunities,” Rutan & Tucker MCLE Series, December 2014
- “The Early Bird Gets the Worm: Practical IP Strategy Post-AIA,” Orange County Business Journal, June 2014
- “Should You be Engaging in Comparative Advertising to Promote Your Business?” Orange County Business Journal (November 2013)
- “Intellectual Property Strategies: Managing the Risks and Seizing the Opportunities,” Wyndam Hotel, Costa Mesa, April 2013
- “With Passage of America Invents Act, It’s a Whole New Ballgame for Inventors,” (Two part series) Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 2012
- “Hurry, Scurry So You Don’t Fret & Worry,” Investors Digest, December 2011
- “Are Design Patents Worth Getting?” Orange County Business Journal, July 2011
- “Intellectual Property Protection for the Apparel Industry,” IP Frontline Magazine, August 2010
- “Intellectual Property Protection for the Apparel Industry,” Orange County Business Journal, July 2010
- “Can I Get A Business Method Patent?”, Orange County Business Journal, July 2009
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- American Bar Association