Hani Z. Sayed
Hani is in the business of protecting his clients’ inventions, technology, designs and brands in the US as well as globally. He strongly believes that in order to be an effective advocate for his clients, he must fully understand their businesses, objectives, technologies, competitors and the industries in which they operate.
With technology-extensive experience, Hani’s practice covers products, processes and designs in health care, bio-technology, pharma, biologics, medical device, nutraceuticals and related technologies. Hani’s experience further extends to mechanical, information technology, material sciences, computer networking, memory devices, electronics, gaming, apparel, along with entertainment, sports and media.
Prior to entering the field of law, Hani’s focus was in the field of molecular and cell biology with a particular emphasis on oncology and genetics, including coursework at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine.
Having worked on numerous technologies in the biotech field, including molecular tools and probes, assays, medical devices in hematology and pharmacology, Hani assists his clients through the full lifecycle of product development by providing guidance from concept inception to late stage development. Aside from biotech, Hani also has significant experience in the automotive industry. Having strong connections in Detroit and being licensed to practice law in the state of Michigan, many OEMs, tier 1 suppliers and aftermarket manufacturers look to Hani for guidance in IP portfolio management and IP enforcement.
Hani regularly negotiates and drafts patent and technology licensing agreements, Patent Development Agreements, University and Military contracts relating to IP development, and due diligence in mergers and acquisitions.
For seven years, Hani has served as Rutan & Tucker’s Department Head of the Intellectual Property Section and also heads the Life Science and Automotive practice group sections.
Additionally, Hani is an adjunct professor at the University of California, San Diego where he teaches courses in Intellectual Property Law, Patent Prosecution and Advanced Issues in Intellectual Property Law.
Hani is licensed to practice in the States of California, Arizona, Illinois, Michigan and is registered before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
News & Insights
- “Managing the Risks and Seizing the Opportunities,” Rutan & Tucker MCLE Series, December 2014
- “The Early Bird Gets the Worm: Practical IP Strategy Post-AIA,” Orange County Business Journal, June 2014
- “Should You be Engaging in Comparative Advertising to Promote Your Business?” Orange County Business Journal (November 2013)
- “Intellectual Property Strategies: Managing the Risks and Seizing the Opportunities,” Wyndam Hotel, Costa Mesa, April 2013
- “With Passage of America Invents Act, It’s a Whole New Ballgame for Inventors,” (Two part series) Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 2012
- “Hurry, Scurry So You Don’t Fret & Worry,” Investors Digest, December 2011
- “Are Design Patents Worth Getting?” Orange County Business Journal, July 2011
- “Intellectual Property Protection for the Apparel Industry,” IP Frontline Magazine, August 2010
- “Intellectual Property Protection for the Apparel Industry,” Orange County Business Journal, July 2010
- “Can I Get A Business Method Patent?”, Orange County Business Journal, July 2009
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- American Bar Association