Meredith Williams focuses on representing and advising clients in protecting their intellectual property rights. Meredith’s practice emphasizes trademark and copyright litigation, trade secret misappropriation, false advertising, and unfair competition, with particular attention to how clients can best promote and defend their brands given novel legal issues raised by the use of social media and advances in technology.
Prior to joining Rutan & Tucker, Meredith worked at Jones Day, where she represented clients in all aspects of complex litigation in state and federal courts, including drafting and responding to pleadings, discovery, and pre- and post-trial motions, taking and defending depositions, and preparing matters for hearing at trial and arbitration proceedings. She has also represented clients in inter partes opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Representative Litigation Experience
- Ongoing representation of apparel company in trademark litigation and inter partes proceedings to defend and enforce trademark registrations.
- Ongoing representation of a leading automotive industry company in its trademark infringement litigation throughout the State of California.
- Represented international wine distributor in defending new wine brand against infringement and unfair competition claims, obtaining dismissal with leave to amend and subsequent favorable settlement.
- Represented cosmetics company in defending major, celebrity-sponsored lipstick and mascara brand, obtaining favorable settlement.
- Represented clients including REIT that develops and manages apartment communities nationwide, international strength training equipment manufacturer, professional golfer, restaurant chain, and wholesale fruit and vegetable distributor in pursuing and managing trademark portfolios at the USPTO and in inter partes proceedings before the TTAB.
- Represented pro bono client in presenting affirmative case at custody trial, negotiating a settlement that resulted in reuniting mother and son; continuing to represent client in obtaining appropriate custody judgment and sanctions for parental alienation and attorney misconduct.
- Represented detained asylum client in immigration court, obtaining withholding of removal so that transgender client may remain safely in the United States rather than face deportation.
- Represented client in unlawful detainer action, obtaining favorable settlement preventing client’s eviction.
- Advised pro se litigants and victims of domestic abuse through the Public Law Center’s Federal Pro Se Clinic and Domestic Violence Clinic.
- “Standing to Enforce Foreign Trademark Rights After Belmora v. Bayer Certiorari Denial,” Jones Day Publications (March 2017)
- “FRCP Amendments: Implications for IP and Patent Troll Litigation,” The Intellectual Property Strategist (May 2016)
- “Second Circuit Holds that Google’s Searchable, Digital Google Books and Library Project is Fair Use,” Jones Day Publications (October 2015)
News & Insights
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Intellectual Property Association, Member
- Orange County Coalition for Diversity in the Law, Member Representative and Former Co-Chair