Michael Hellbusch excels in several areas of law including cyber law, data security, and privacy issues. He has a broad range of experience both as a transactional lawyer and as a litigator. He focuses his practice on brand and reputation protection for clients in the online atmosphere.
Mike is co-chair of the Orange County Chapter of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). He is certified in U.S. privacy law (CIPP/US) and privacy management (CIPM) from the IAPP. He has presented on several cyber-related topics including data breach reporting requirements, protection of digital assets, student/school privacy rights and obligations, and compliance with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). In addition, he helps businesses craft cyber policies, procedures, and directives related to regulatory compliance, asset protection, consumer protection law compliance and risk minimization. Mike received his Juris Doctor from the University of San Diego School of Law. As part of his time there, he worked at the legal clinic where he assisted underprivileged clients who might otherwise not have access to legal counsel. Mike’s emphasis in law school was on Intellectual Property.
News & Insights
- “Privacy, Security and GDPR: A Legal Perspective for 2018” (Webinar)
- “2017 Legal Trends for Nonprofits” (Webinar)
- “Cyber Security Threats and Solutions for Nonprofits” (Webinar)
- “Cyber Risk Management and the Law,” 11th Annual Gianneschi Summer School for Nonprofits Conference Proceedings
- “Digital Assets of the Deceased, Privacy, and the Law,” PFAC 21st Annual Educational Conference
- “Fiduciaries and the Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Access Act,” Professional Fiduciary Association of California Southern Regional Education Day
- “What You Should Know About Cybersecurity,” Southern California Veterinary Medical Association Newsletter
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Co-Chair, International Association of Privacy Professionals (CIPP/US, CIPM), Orange County Chapter
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- Member, Los Angeles Bar Association
- Member, Irvine Chamber of Commerce