Samantha Goates is a litigator whose strong work ethic has quickly made her a rising star at Rutan & Tucker. Since joining Rutan & Tucker in 2015, Samantha has worked on a variety of cases involving class actions, business contracts, business and intentional torts, and probate and trust disputes.
Samantha joined the firm after serving a one year federal clerkship from 2015 to 2016 for the Honorable Ronald M. Gould at the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in Seattle, Washington. While in law school, she gained further courtroom experience by successfully representing an indigent client seeking asylum in the United States before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and by externing for the Honorable Catherine E. Bauer at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California in Santa Ana.
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Probate and Trust Litigation
- Contract Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Defended a communications company against action for breach of contract and indemnity, resulting in early dismissal of the case.
- As lead associate, Ms. Goates represented a construction company against a developer for wrongful interference and breach of contract, resulting in a very favorable settlement for the client.
- Defended a large sporting goods retailer against a consumer class action, resulting in an early, favorable settlement for the client before the putative class was certified.
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, 2019