Shigenobu (“Shige”) Itoh represents various business entities in all aspects of corporate and business law, including mergers and acquisitions, securities, venture capital financing, joint venture transactions, licensing and general representation. He currently serves as outside general counsel to a variety of businesses and institutions.
Shige also has extensive experience representing both lenders and borrowers in a variety of financing transactions, including commercial, cash-flow and corporate finance transactions, asset-based financing transactions, structured financing transactions, mezzanine and subordinated debt transactions, equipment financing transactions, receivables financing transactions and restructuring transactions.
Shige is an expert in structuring, negotiating and documenting litigation finance transactions. Shige has represented numerous domestic and international financial institutions that focus on funding litigation cases and portfolios, as well as recipients of litigation funding.
He has also been involved in various cross-border transactions, including cross-border entity structuring and restructuring transactions, as well as both in-bound and out-bound mergers and acquisition transactions.
Shige is fluent in Japanese.
Shige received his J.D. from the University of California at Berkeley, School of Law (Boalt Hall). In law school he served as Executive Editor of the Asian Law Journal, Communications Editor of the Berkeley Journal of International Law, and Co-Chair of the Asian PacificAmerican Law Student Association.
He received his B.S. in Management Science (Quantitative Economics), with Highest Honors, and his B.A. in Japanese Studies, with Honors, from the University of California, San Diego, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated summa cum laude. He was also selected as the Joel Dean Award recipient in Management Science. During college, Shige spent a year studying at Hitotsubashi University in Tokyo, Japan.
Represented both buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisition transactions across a broad spectrum of industries and geographies. Presentative mergers and acquisition transactions include the following:
- Represented Dubai World in its acquisition of MGM MIRAGE common stock through tender offers and direct stock purchases totaling in excess of $3 billion.
- Represented Platinum Equity, LLC in its $630 million acquisition of the fastening systems division of Textron, Inc.
- Represented Primoris Corporation in a public merger with a Special Purpose Acquisition Company.
- Represented Performance Team in its $545 million acquisition by A.P. Moller – Maersk.
- Represented cPaperless, LLC (SafeSend) in its growth-stage investment by Lead Edge Capital.
- Represented Renovo Solutions in connection with its receipt of growth investment from Water Street Healthcare Partners.
- Represented Gem-Pack Berries in its strategic partnership with Red Blossom Sales.
- Represented Achates Ventures and RCap Equity in their acquisition of a controlling interest in Roadrunner Restoration.
- Represented Wharton Automotive Group (which includes McLeod Racing) in its acquisition of Silver Sport Transmissions and FTI Performance Converters.
- Represented various banking and lending institutions, as agents, in connection with acquisition finance, senior secured and asset-based credit facilities.
- Represented various lending institutions in connection with first lien, mezzanine, unitranche, subordinated and second lien credit facilities.
- Represented various financial institutions in litigation fundings, including fundings of single plaintiff cases, putative class actions and portfolios of litigation cases.
- Represented borrowers in a variety of financing transactions, including cash flow, asset-based, commercial and structured financing transactions.
News & Insights
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Board Member, Irvine Public Schools Foundation
- Board Member, Foundation for Affordable Housing
- Former Board Member, Families Forward
- Secretary, Professional Ethics Committee, International Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Japanese American Bar Association
- Past-Chair (2014), Orange County Bar Association’s Business and Corporate Law Section
- Member, Orange County Bar Association