Todd Litfin is the chair of the firm’s Government and Regulatory Law Section. His practice includes the representation of cities and other public entities, as well as private clients, in both litigation and transactional matters. He is currently the City Attorney of Yorba Linda and Villa Park. In addition to his current positions as the City Attorney, Todd also serves as a Member of the Rancho Santiago Community College District Foundation and is a former Member of the California League of Cities Legal Advocacy Committee. Todd has previously served as the City Attorney for the Cities of Irvine, Huntington Park, and Adelanto and served as the General Counsel for the Adelanto Public Utility Authority.
Todd has extensive experience in litigation and transactional matters pertaining to municipal government and land use law. Specifically, he has expertise concerning the California Environmental Quality Act, the Planning and Zoning Law, the Subdivision Map Act, the Coastal Act, Civil Rights Laws, the Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, municipal contracting, development agreements and other legal issues regularly confronted by municipalities or those who deal with municipalities. Todd has litigated numerous complex litigation matters for both public and private clients.
Areas of Expertise
- Municipal & Government Agency Law
- Land Use/Natural Resources
- Royalty Carpet Mills v. City of Irvine (2005) 125 Cal.App.4th 1110. Represented City in precedent setting case concerning procedures governing CEQA litigation.
- Bernard Long v. City of Rialto, San Bernardino County Superior Court Case SCV 27138. Represented landowner in successful multi-million dollar civil rights claims against City that unconstitutionally destroyed family business.
- Surfrider v. City of Dana Point, Orange County Superior Court Case 05CC00883. Represented City in successful defense of Coastal Act challenge to City’s approval of 121 acre Headlands project.
- Murdock v. Ventures Trident II, Riverside County Superior Court Case 332709. Represented shareholder and mining operator in successful defense of complex alter ego, lender liability, and negligence action against entities involved in mining operation.
- City of Yorba Linda v. City of Anaheim, Orange County Superior Court Case 01CC09320. Represented Yorba Linda in CEQA challenge to construction of BNSF railway soundwall.
- Charter Communications v. County of Santa Cruz, 304 F.3d 927 (9th Cir. 2002). Represented County in successful litigation involving change of ownership of local cable operator.
- Traphagen v. City of Dana Point, Orange County Superior Court Case 04CC00676. Represented City in successful defense of attack on General Plan and review of mobile home park closure impact report.
- City of Anaheim v. Angels Baseball, Orange County Superior Court Case 05CC01902. Represented City against Major League Baseball team’s name change.
News & Insights
- “The Developmental Approval Process in California”
- “Zoning and Land Use in California”
- “In the Public Eye: Rules and Etiquette for Public Meetings”
- “Going Public: Professional Advice for Public Presentations and Meetings”
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Orange County Bar Association