William M. Marticorena
William Marticorena specializes in local government law, civil rights, litigation, telecommunications, First Amendment issues, privacy, internet and telecommunications security, public finance, valuation, state and local taxation, crisis management and municipal workouts.
Bill provides legal, communications, financial, legislative, and crisis management services to local government in relation to a wide variety of high profile and problematic situations such as public safety dysfunction and reorganization, civil rights violations, financial stress and improprieties, public agency restructuring, and claims of mismanagement.
Bill held the rank of Assistant Professor, Western State University College of Law in Fullerton, CA from 1978-1985 offering courses in Media Law, Civil Procedure, Corporations, Legal Writing, and Trusts. He also served as a Lecturer at UC Irvine School of Law teaching Local Government Law and Communications Law. He was a Captain in the United States Air Force.
- General Representation – Representation of public entities in relation to day-to-day aspects of governance including transparency statutes, public meeting requirements, elections, personnel, finance, land use, public works, contract administration, code enforcement, public safety, audits and investigations, and economic development.
- Crisis Management and Municipal Workouts – Representation of public entities in relation to financial stress and event-specific calamities which threatened the public entity as an ongoing concern. He has structured multi-discipline “workout plans” which typically involved significant cost reductions, financial and performance audits, public safety reorganization, debt restructuring, and revenue generation to achieve financial solvency.
- Telecommunications, Broadband, Internet, Cable Television, Cellular and Privacy – Representation of public entities in relation to cable franchising, transfers of ownership, rate regulation, franchise enforcement, financial audits, public rights of way management, utility infrastructure access, PEG, cellular siting, First Amendment, broadband regulation/expansion, and related litigation. Mr. Marticorena is one of the most recognizable faces of local government in telecommunications.
- State and local taxation – Representation of public entities in relation to valuation of unique and complex assets, property tax allocation, sales tax allocations, creation/valuation of possessory interests, property tax litigation and taxation of internet sales.
- Public Finance – Representation of public entities in relation to virtually all types of public finance projects including general fund obligations, certificates of participation, lease revenue bonds, redevelopment tax allocation bonds, enterprise revenue bonds, land secured bonds, general obligation bonds, and structured workouts.
- Legislative Advocacy – Representation of public entities at federal and state levels, as well as in administrative rulemaking proceedings, in relation to telecommunications, internet regulation, privacy, customer service, cable television, redevelopment, municipal finance, and public safety.
- Litigation – Representation of public entities in litigation relating to civil rights, telecommunications, cable television, consumer protection, securities regulation, municipal finance, redevelopment, personnel, broadband regulation, cellular siting, PROW management, property tax administration, property tax valuation, utility undergrounding, LAFCO proceedings, and land use.
News & Insights
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, Public Law Section, State Bar of California, Public Service Career Forums (UCI Law/2014-2015/UC Davis Law/2014-2015/UC Hastings Law/2015-2016, UCLA Law2016/2017, Southwestern Law2017/2018, Loyola Law2018/2019)
- Telecommunications, Broadband, Network Neutrality, Internet Taxation, Cable Television, Privacy and Cellular – Frequent speaker at conferences for SCAN NATOA, League of California Cities, California Association of Counties, Contract Cities Association, Los Angeles City Attorneys Association, Orange County City Attorneys Association, CSAC, National Federation of Local Programmers and Law Seminars International (LSI).
- State and Local Taxation – Frequent speaker to County Counsels’ Association and California Assessors’ Association Conferences on valuation of the telecommunications industry, financial audits and dissolution of redevelopment agencies; lectured nationally in relation to taxation of broadband services and the impact of the Internet Tax Freedom Act on state and local government.
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- AV® Preemininent™ rating with LexisNexis/Martindale Hubbell
- Harvard Law School, Ames Moot Court, First Place, Best Brief Competition, 1975
- Editor, Orange County Bar Association Bulletin, 1985-1986
- NATOA, Ovation Award, 1993
- Award of Merit, Orange County Bar Association, 1987
- SCAN NATOA, Member of the Year, 1997 (First Recipient)
Memberships & Associations
- California Lawyers Foundation – Board of Directors
- States of California and Nevada Chapter of the National Association of Telecommunications Officers & Advisors (SCAN NATOA) – President (2008-2009 and 2012-2013), Board of Directors (2004-2013), Member of the Year (1997)
- Orange County Bar Association – Board of Directors (1985-1986)
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Orange County City Attorneys Association
- Girl Scouts Council of Orange County – Board of Directors (2006-2010)
- Harvard Law School Association of Orange County, President (2015-2016), Founding Member, Board of Directors (2013 to present)
- Don Bosco Technical Institute (DBTI), Rosemead, California – Chairman, Board of Trustees; General Counsel; Interim Head of School (2017-2019); DBTI is a Catholic high school in Los Angeles County; 70% Hispanic student body; 70% of student body on financial aid