Alex Swanson represents clients in a range of civil litigation matters with a focus on environmental litigation and life sciences, including mass toxic tort litigation, Proposition 65 defense, and CERCLA cost recovery actions. His practice also covers contract disputes, business torts, and patent litigation involving pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Prior to joining Rutan & Tucker, Mr. Swanson worked at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, where he counseled clients through all stages of complex litigation in state and federal courts, from initial pleadings through trial and appeal, as well as mediation and arbitration.
- Ongoing representation of industrial client in CERCLA cost recovery action brought by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control.
- Represented manufacturing company in toxic tort litigation involving alleged exposure to hydrogen sulfide. Obtained exclusion of plaintiffs’ medical causation experts under Daubert and cross-examined plaintiffs’ treating physician at trial.
- Represented industrial client in toxic tort litigation involving alleged exposure to dioxin, including excluding plaintiffs’ medical causation experts, retaining and supervising experts on general and specific causation, and coordinating medical examinations of bellwether plaintiffs.
- Represented large joint defense group of coffee sellers through successful summary judgment motion and appeal (pending) in Proposition 65 action based on acrylamide in coffee.
- Defended medical device company in patent infringement action involving remote patient monitoring systems and methods. Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement and successfully defended the judgment on appeal.
- Represented health insurance company in action against ambulatory surgery centers for fraudulent billing. Following dismissal of the surgery centers’ counterclaims on summary judgment, the jury found in the client’s favor on the fraud claims and awarded over $30 million in damages.
- Represented seller in contract dispute over responsibility for environmental liabilities under asset purchase agreement involving transfer of industrial manufacturing facilities.
- Represented client in mandamus challenge to county’s wrongful denial of Adoption Assistance Program benefits, obtaining settlement for full, retroactive benefits.
- Represented clients in multiple unlawful detainer actions, obtaining favorable settlements.
News & Insights
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Member, Orange County Bar Association – Business Litigation, Environmental Law, Intellectual Property & Technology Law, Tort & Trial Sections
Awards & Honors
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch (2023, 2024)