Gerard Mooney is Chair of the Appellate Practice Group and his areas of practice include business and real estate litigation and appellate matters in both state and federal courts. He has significant experience in Anti-SLAPP motions on both trial and appellate levels. Gerry also has handled several emergency petitions for writ review to California’s Courts of Appeal.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Represented sub-escrow company in litigation brought by lender concerning refinance of real property that resulted in erroneous release of lender’s deed of trust on property; obtained complete reversal in Court of Appeal of judgment previously entered against client and order for entry of judgment in favor of client on all claims.
- Represented behavioral health management company in multi-year litigation concerning dispute over client’s acquisition of assets, including contracts to provide behavioral health services; obtained favorable decision for client at trial.
- Represented on-line mortgage banker in litigation involving false statements about client made on website maintained by client’s competitor; obtained substantial judgment in client’s favor.
- Represented accountancy firm and principals in dispute brought by former partner upon dissolution of partnership; obtained pre-trial settlement on terms favorable to clients.
- Represented law firm and attorneys in series of lawsuits filed against clients alleging malicious prosecution; achieved early dismissals and attorneys’ fees awards to clients in all lawsuits pursuant to successful Anti-SLAPP motions, and obtained affirmance of all dismissals and fee awards on appeal.
- Represented web content developer in malicious prosecution action filed against client by former business associate; achieved early dismissal and attorneys’ fees award to client pursuant to successful Anti-SLAPP motion.
- Represented property developer in dispute concerning opposing party’s breach of real property purchase and sale contract; obtained early summary judgment in arbitration and award of attorneys’ fees to client.
News & Insights
- Important Legal Effects of California Short-Form Mergers, Law360, September 2014
- “Lenders, Debtors & Guarantors: Who Gets Their Way in the Foreclosure Fray?” Western Real Estate Business, May 2011
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- American Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Junior Achievement of Orange County (which educates young people in elementary through high school about business, economics, and free enterprise)