J.R. Sechrist has substantial experience representing real estate developers, investors, tenants, landlords and borrowers. His practice includes all aspects of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, development, construction, financing, leasing and joint ventures. J.R. also has significant experience with workouts and restructurings of real estate loans.
Before joining Rutan, J.R. held the position of Senior Corporate Counsel for Amazon.com, where he served as the lead attorney for several organizations within Amazon’s cloud computing business (AWS). His experience as a corporate in-house attorney brings a pragmatic business perspective to complex legal issues confronting clients. Prior to Amazon, he practiced real estate and corporate law at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.
Areas of Expertise
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Real Estate Development and Construction
- Office, Industrial and Retail Leasing
- Real Estate Finance
- Acquisition, disposition and financing of multi-family projects, retail centers, office buildings, and industrial properties.
- Acquisition and development of residential real property projects.
- Development and construction of multi-family projects, retail centers, and industrial properties.
- Drafting and negotiating leases on behalf of both landlords and tenants for office, industrial and retail properties.
- Drafting and negotiating loan documentation on behalf of borrowers in connection with real estate secured financing.
- Entity formation, including joint ventures, general and limited partnerships, limited liability companies and corporations.
News & Insights
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- State Bar of California, Real Property Section
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Board of Trustees for California Southland Chapter (2015-2016);
- Executive Committee for 2016 Light the Night Walk at Angel Stadium (2016)
- NAIOP, Member; Young Professionals Group (2008-2009); Young Professionals Group Alumni Committee (2015)
Awards & Honors
- Connect Commercial Real Estate, 2020 Lawyers in Real Estate Award