JR provides strategic legal counsel to real estate developers, owners, landlords, tenants and asset managers. Clients rely on JR not only to minimize legal risk, but also to create value based on his extensive business experience working both as outside counsel and in-house for global corporations such as Amazon.com.
He is known for his responsiveness, diligence and outstanding client service. As a seasoned real estate attorney, JR takes a pragmatic, solutions-oriented approach to getting deals done. He earnestly seeks to understand his client’s needs and objectives and provides sound counsel to help clients achieve those objectives.
Prior to law school, he was an engineer and developed strong analytical, problem-solving skills which he has translated into the practice of law. He started his legal career at the international law firm of Gibson Dunn, where he honed his legal skills on sophisticated real estate transactions. He then transitioned in-house as senior counsel for Amazon.com, working side-by-side with innovators to build out the technology infrastructure for Amazon Web Services. In this role, he was the client to numerous outside law firms and gained valuable insight into what clients need from their outside counsel.
Now at Rutan, JR’s unique background, experience and skillset make him the “go to” lawyer for real estate transactions. His legal practice focuses primarily on the following asset classes:
- Healthcare (Lifescience, Medical Office and Senior Housing)
- Technology Infrastructure (Cell Towers and Data Centers)
JR is licensed to practice law in the State of California and is also a licensed real estate broker.
News & Insights
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- State Bar of California, Real Property Section
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Board of Trustees for California Southland Chapter (2015-2016);
- Executive Committee for 2016 Light the Night Walk at Angel Stadium (2016)
- NAIOP, Member; Young Professionals Group (2008-2009); Young Professionals Group Alumni Committee (2015)
Awards & Honors
- Connect Commercial Real Estate, 2020 Lawyers in Real Estate Award