Ravi Mohan is a partner in Rutan’s Intellectual Property group and serves as co-chair of Rutan’s Automotive practice. A recognized strategist, he has assisted companies in scaling their IP; and proudly represents clients venture-backed by Y Combinator, Intel Capital, Tech Coast Angels, and many others.
Ravi’s view is that no two companies are alike. Thus, he advises clients with a focus towards achieving their specific business goals, implementing short and long-term strategy given their industry, while appreciating the key players and the desired narrative.
No matter the industry, Ravi prides himself on simplifying complex concepts to ensure that the audience – whether it be potential acquirers, investors, customers, and/or judges – understand the story. As a thought-leader, he has appeared on the Discovery Channel, and contributed to Ars Technica, Bloomberg, the Wall Street Journal and InformationWeek.
As a former litigator, Ravi also guides companies in IP transactional matters and assists in pre-litigation and settlement counseling. Prior to his legal career, Ravi was an engineer with Verizon.
Originally hailing from the Silicon Valley, Ravi also brings unique international experience and cultural sensitivity to the table, having practiced patent litigation while living in Tokyo, Japan.
He is fluent in Hindi and Punjabi. An avid proponent of diversity initiatives, Ravi also proudly serves on California Minority Counsel Program’s Ambassadors Council.
Patent Strategy and Portfolio Development
- Created patent strategy and developing patent portfolio for artificial intelligence/edge-device company. Patent portfolio helped attract multiple rounds of funding.
- Created patent strategy and developing patent portfolio for financial entity transitioning into a fin-tech company.
- Created patent strategy and developing patent portfolio for a frictionless shopping entity. Patent portfolio helped attract multiple rounds of funding.
- Manage existing portfolio of 50-plus patents for a bottling company to align patent portfolio with international business strategy.
- Conducted numerous intellectual property due diligence projects for high-technology investments by venture capital firms and for targets and acquirers in merger and acquisition contexts.
- Member of team that successfully handled high-profile smartphone litigation cases in Japan.
- Represented numerous clients at various stages of litigation – pre-assertion, pre-trial and thru settlement.
- Evaluated hundreds of patents in conjunction with various intellectual property disputes for the purposes of assertion, invalidation and re-design.
News & Insights
- Quoted in “New Evidence Precedent Gives Lawyers a Patent Board Road Map”, Bloomberg Law, January 2020
- Quoted in “Three Things to Watch at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board”, Bloomberg Law, December 2019
- Mentioned in “Perspective: IP Forum Strikes A Chord; More Events Like It Are Needed”, Auto Care Week – The Greensheet, October 2019
- Quoted in “Google, YouTube Move to Nix Claims in Rival’s Tech Patents”, Bloomberg Law, September 2019
- Quoted in “Patent Precedent Board Clearing Procedural Hurdles, Lawyers Say”, Bloomberg Law, September 2019
- Quoted in “GoPro Patent Review Bid Reversed by Precedent-Setting Panel”, Bloomberg Law, August 2019
- “IP Activities in China”, Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association, Aftermarket IP Forum – Dearborn, Michigan, August 2019
- Quoted in “When AI Invents, Thorny Questions Follow For Patent Law”, Law360, August 2019
- CIPL Presentation – Counterfeits, IP and Best Practices for Online Marketplaces, Whittier Law School, April 2019
- Quoted in “New DOT Initiative Aims To Ease Hurdles For Emerging Tech”, Law360, March 2019
- Guest Appearance, Garage Rehab – Discovery Channel (Season 2), February 2019
- Quoted in “How Autonomy Will Change Cars”, Ars Technica, December 2018
- “Proposition 65 and the Impact on Counterfeiting”, Homeland Security Investigations – Washington, D.C., August 2018
- “The Real Deal of Succeeding as a Minority Attorney”, Pacific Club – Newport Beach, CA, May 2018
- “What’s Happening Online – Monitoring Brand Mentions and Social Sentiment”, AASA Vision Conference – Chicago, IL, March 2018
- Quoted in “Blockchain Roadblocks Hinder Content Protection”, InformationWeek, March 2018
- “IP – Global Trends and Techniques with an Asian Focus”, PP-Tek Global Summit – Manila, January 2018
- “Winning at Corporate Connections”, CMCP Business Conference, October 2017
- Quoted in “When Ethical Obligations Clash With Patent Application Quotas”, Corporate Counsel (Law.com), August 2017
- “[Funding + Growth] OC, LA, Silicon Valley”; October 26, 2016
- “Just Inc. Case”; September 15, 2016
- “Don’t Feed the Trolls: Practicality in View of the FTC’s Report on Patent Assertion Entities,” IPWatchdog.com, November 2, 2016
- “Revisiting Patent Opinions of Counsel on Induced Infringement,” Orange County Business Journal, July 2015
- “The Early Bird Gets the Worm: Practical IP Strategy Post-AIA,” Orange County Business Journal, June 2014
- Analysis of the Entire Market Value Rule: Arduous Royalty Base Determinations, Unjust Damage Rewards, and Empirical Approaches to Measuring Consumer Demand, Santa Clara Computer & High Technology Law Journal, Volume 27
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- Stanford-Samsung Patent Remedy Prize Winner
- High Tech Law Certificate with Honors
- High Tech Excellence Award
- Witkin Award for Academic Excellence
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award
- Outstanding Graduate in Electrical Engineering
- Ginn Family Foundation Scholar
Memberships & Associations
- California Minority Counsel Program, Ambassadors Council, 2016-2019
- Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association, Intellectual Property Council Member
- Los Angeles & OC Intellectual Property Associations