Ravi Mohan is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property group and serves as chair of the Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain practice groups. His practice focuses on the rapidly evolving legal and technical landscape that impacts decentralized technologies including cryptocurrencies, decentralized financial (DeFi) platforms, smart contracts, non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and other related protocols and innovations. Prior to his legal career, Ravi was a wireless engineer with Verizon.
As a thought-leader, he has appeared on the Discovery Channel, and contributed to Ars Technica, Bloomberg, Law 360, the Wall Street Journal and InformationWeek.
Notably, Ravi brings unique international legal experience and cultural sensitivity to the table, having practiced patent litigation while residing in Tokyo, Japan. He is fluent in Hindi and Punjabi. Ravi is also an alumni of the prestigious California Minority Counsel Program’s Ambassadors Council.
Cryptocurrency x DeFi x NFT Counseling
- Developing blockchain, cryptocurrency, NFT and DeFi IP portfolio solutions for a number of entities.
- Advising numerous entities in conducting technical analyses, building “minimum viable blockchains” and token selection/design.
- Counseled a leading video game developer in connection with the development and sale of non-fungible tokens including analysis of relevant IP issues, contract negotiation with artists and NFT platforms, and corresponding technical deployment and marketing strategy.
Patent Strategy + Portfolio Development
- Created a patent portfolio for an artificial intelligence/edge-device company. The patent portfolio helped attract multiple rounds of significant funding.
- Led the development of an IP portfolio for a frictionless shopping entity. The patent portfolio garnered multiple rounds of funding.
- Guiding multiple prominent automotive entities with a focus towards EV technology and IP scaling.
- Conducted numerous IP due diligence projects for high-technology investments by venture capital firms and for acquirers in merger and acquisition contexts.
- Developed valuation models regarding core portfolio technologies given industry trends and consumer behavior.
IP Litigation + Opinion Counseling
- Member of a team that successfully handled high-profile smartphone litigation cases in Japan.
- Drafted freedom-to-operate opinions and redesign concepts for numerous technologies and industries, including AI, software, medical-device, and automotive components.
- Represented numerous clients at various stages of litigation – pre-assertion, pre-trial and thru settlement.
News & Insights
- DeFi’s Impact on Mainstream Finance, Los Angeles, CA, February 2022
- NFTs, Crypto and IP: What Founders Need to Know – OC Startup Council, October 13, 2021.
- “The Successful First Gen Professional”, CMCP, July 22, 2021
- Quoted in “Patent Office Multiple Attack Pushback Leads to Tactical Revamp”, Bloomberg Law, December 2020
- “Past, Present, Future: The Impacts of COVID-19 and the Election”, Aftermarket IP Forum, November 2020
- Quoted in “Square Launches Crypto Patent Organization to Spur Adoptions”, Bloomberg Law, September 2020
- Quoted in “Precedent Panel Says PTAB Can Raise Grounds Against Amendments”, Bloomberg Law, July 2020
- Quoted in “PTAB’s Precedent Tightens Prior Art Guidelines in Validity Trials”, Bloomberg Law, March 2020
- Quoted in “Automakers’ Shift To Med Supplies Comes With Legal Hazards”, Law360, March 2020
- Quoted in “New Evidence Precedent Gives Lawyers a Patent Board Road Map”, Bloomberg Law, January 2020
- Quoted in “Three Things to Watch at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board”, Bloomberg Law, December 2019
- Mentioned in “Perspective: IP Forum Strikes A Chord; More Events Like It Are Needed”, Auto Care Week – The Greensheet, October 2019
- Quoted in “Google, YouTube Move to Nix Claims in Rival’s Tech Patents”, Bloomberg Law, September 2019
- Quoted in “Patent Precedent Board Clearing Procedural Hurdles, Lawyers Say”, Bloomberg Law, September 2019
- Quoted in “GoPro Patent Review Bid Reversed by Precedent-Setting Panel”, Bloomberg Law, August 2019
- “IP Activities in China”, Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association, Aftermarket IP Forum – Dearborn, Michigan, August 2019
- Quoted in “When AI Invents, Thorny Questions Follow For Patent Law”, Law360, August 2019
- CIPL Presentation – Counterfeits, IP and Best Practices for Online Marketplaces, Whittier Law School, April 2019
- Quoted in “New DOT Initiative Aims To Ease Hurdles For Emerging Tech”, Law360, March 2019
- Guest Appearance, Garage Rehab – Discovery Channel (Season 2), February 2019
- Quoted in “How Autonomy Will Change Cars”, Ars Technica, December 2018
- “Proposition 65 and the Impact on Counterfeiting”, Homeland Security Investigations – Washington, D.C., August 2018
- “The Real Deal of Succeeding as a Minority Attorney”, Pacific Club – Newport Beach, CA, May 2018
- “What’s Happening Online – Monitoring Brand Mentions and Social Sentiment”, AASA Vision Conference – Chicago, IL, March 2018
- Quoted in “Blockchain Roadblocks Hinder Content Protection”, InformationWeek, March 2018
- “IP – Global Trends and Techniques with an Asian Focus”, PP-Tek Global Summit – Manila, January 2018
- “Winning at Corporate Connections”, CMCP Business Conference, October 2017
- Quoted in “When Ethical Obligations Clash With Patent Application Quotas”, Corporate Counsel (Law.com), August 2017
- “[Funding + Growth] OC, LA, Silicon Valley”; October 26, 2016
- “Just Inc. Case”; September 15, 2016
- “Don’t Feed the Trolls: Practicality in View of the FTC’s Report on Patent Assertion Entities,” IPWatchdog.com, November 2, 2016
- “Revisiting Patent Opinions of Counsel on Induced Infringement,” Orange County Business Journal, July 2015
- “The Early Bird Gets the Worm: Practical IP Strategy Post-AIA,” Orange County Business Journal, June 2014
- Analysis of the Entire Market Value Rule: Arduous Royalty Base Determinations, Unjust Damage Rewards, and Empirical Approaches to Measuring Consumer Demand, Santa Clara Computer & High Technology Law Journal, Volume 27
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- Stanford-Samsung Patent Remedy Prize Winner, Stanford Law School
- Awarded and published a highly-cited legal analysis on patent damages
- High Tech Law Certificate with Honors, SCU Law
- High Tech Excellence Award, SCU Law
- Witkin Award for Academic Excellence, SCU Law
- (top score in Contracts)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, SCU Law
- (top scores in Appellate Advocacy, Intellectual Property, Public Interest and Social Justice)
- Outstanding Graduate in Electrical Engineering
- Ginn Family Foundation Scholar
- President’s Scholarship
Memberships & Associations
- California Minority Counsel Program, Ambassadors Council, 2016-2019
- Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association, Intellectual Property Council Member
- Los Angeles & OC Intellectual Property Associations