Ravi Mohan manages IP strategy and thoughtfully scales IP portfolios that attract funding. He also guides companies in IP transactional matters and assists in pre-litigation and settlement counseling. He currently serves as outside general counsel to a variety of businesses and institutions.
Ravi’s area of expertise spans a wide variety of highly technical verticals, but no matter the industry, he prides himself on translating complex concepts in simple language to ensure that judges, juries and business leaders understand the key issues.
Originally hailing from the Silicon Valley, Ravi also brings unique international experience and cultural sensitivity to the table, having practiced patent litigation and lived in Tokyo, Japan. He is fluent in Hindi and Punjabi. An avid proponent of diversity initiatives, Ravi also serves on California Minority Counsel Program’s Ambassadors Council.
Ravi is also co-chair of the Automotive Practice Group at Rutan.
Patent Strategy and Portfolio Development
- Created patent strategy and developing patent portfolio for artificial intelligence/edge-device company. Patent portfolio helped attract multiple rounds of funding.
- Created patent strategy and developing patent portfolio for financial entity transitioning into a fin-tech company.
- Created patent strategy and developing patent portfolio for a frictionless shopping entity. Patent portfolio helped attract multiple rounds of funding.
- Manage existing portfolio of 50-plus patents for a bottling company to align patent portfolio with international business strategy.
- Conducted numerous intellectual property due diligence projects for high-technology investments by venture capital firms and for targets and acquirers in merger and acquisition contexts.
- Member of team that successfully handled high-profile smartphone litigation cases in Japan.
- Represented numerous clients at various stages of litigation – pre-assertion, pre-trial and thru settlement.
- Evaluated hundreds of patents in conjunction with various intellectual property disputes for the purposes of assertion, invalidation and re-design.
News & Insights
- “Proposition 65 and the Impact on Counterfeiting”, Homeland Security Investigations – Washington, D.C., August 2018
- “The Real Deal of Succeeding as a Minority Attorney”, Pacific Club – Newport Beach, CA, May 2018
- “What’s Happening Online – Monitoring Brand Mentions and Social Sentiment”, AASA Vision Conference – Chicago, IL, March 2018
- Quoted in “Blockchain Roadblocks Hinder Content Protection”, InformationWeek – March 2018
- “IP – Global Trends and Techniques with an Asian Focus”, PP-Tek Global Summit – Manila, January 2018
- “Winning at Corporate Connections”, CMCP Business Conference, October 2017
- Quoted in “When Ethical Obligations Clash With Patent Application Quotas”, Corporate Counsel (Law.com), August 2017
- “[Funding + Growth] OC, LA, Silicon Valley”; October 26, 2016
- “Just Inc. Case”; September 15, 2016
- “Don’t Feed the Trolls: Practicality in View of the FTC’s Report on Patent Assertion Entities,” IPWatchdog.com, November 2, 2016
- “Revisiting Patent Opinions of Counsel on Induced Infringement,” Orange County Business Journal, July 2015
- “The Early Bird Gets the Worm: Practical IP Strategy Post-AIA,” Orange County Business Journal, June 2014
- Analysis of the Entire Market Value Rule: Arduous Royalty Base Determinations, Unjust Damage Rewards, and Empirical Approaches to Measuring Consumer Demand, Santa Clara Computer & High Technology Law Journal, Volume 27
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- Stanford-Samsung Patent Remedy Prize Winner
- High Tech Law Certificate with Honors
- High Tech Excellence Award
- Witkin Award for Academic Excellence
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award
- Outstanding Graduate in Electrical Engineering
- Ginn Family Foundation Scholar
Memberships & Associations
- California Minority Counsel Program, Ambassadors Council, 2016-2019
- Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association, Intellectual Property Council Member
- Los Angeles & OC Intellectual Property Associations