Ron Oines has a broad litigation and intellectual property practice. He has handled numerous cases involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and misappropriation of likeness. In addition to extensive intellectual property experience, Ron has handled numerous cases involving contract and warranty disputes, false advertising, unfair competition, and other business torts.
Ron has tried numerous cases in federal and state courts, as well as arbitration. In addition to litigation, his experience includes advising companies on intellectual property matters, drafting contracts and licensing agreements, and enforcing intellectual property rights on online marketplaces. He has presented to lawyer and industry groups and published several articles on various intellectual property topics.
Ron has been recognized as a Super Lawyer® and by Best Lawyers®, and has the highest AV® Preeminent™ rating from LexisNexis/Martindale Hubbell. He graduated cum laude from the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University, and was an Editor for the Arizona State Law Journal. While in law school, Ron worked as a full-time Judicial Extern to Judge Stephen Reinhardt of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Areas of Focus
- Business Litigation
- Intellectual Property
Ron’s recent trial victories include:
- Prevailed at trial on a multi-million dollar trade secret claim against our client and obtained more than $2M on breach of contract counterclaim.
- Prevailed at trial on a multi-million dollar misappropriation of likeness claim against our client, and Court awarded fees to our client. California Court of Appeal affirmed the Judgment.
- Prevailed at trial on a multi-million dollar trademark infringement claim against our client.
- Prevailed at trial on a false advertising claim we filed on behalf of our client, and Court entered Judgment against client’s competitor.
- Prevailed at trial on multi-million dollar breach of warranty claim we filed on behalf of our client. California Court of Appeal affirmed the Judgment.
In addition to a stellar record at trial, Ron has obtained excellent results by summary judgment and otherwise for clients in a wide range of cases, including:
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in patent cases, including in the fields of consumer electronics, computer hardware, software and methods, RFID technology, musical instruments, laser drilling systems, various medical devices and processes, pharmaceuticals, sporting goods and construction materials.
- Represented clients in trademark cases and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board opposition proceedings in numerous industries.
- Represented clients in copyright matters involving musical compositions and recordings, motion pictures, photographs, screenplays, apparel and other original works.
- Represented clients in matters involving misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition in various industries.
- Represented clients in misappropriation of likeness and unfair business practices actions arising out of use of name and likeness.
- Represented manufacturers of industrial components and consumer electronics in lawsuits involving warranty and other claims.
News & Insights
- “Patent Law Before the Supreme Court in 2014,” Patent Disputes Forum 2014, Sponsored by Daily Journal Corporation and Thomas Reuters (May 6, 2014)
- “Recent Developments in Permanent Injunctions in Patent Cases,” Patent Disputes Forum 2013, Sponsored by Daily Journal Corporation and Thomson Reuters (March 27, 2013)
- “Did You Hear That Trademark? Considering Broad Trademark Protection Under the Lanham Act,” Orange County Business Journal (July 2013)
- “Did You Hear That Trademark? – Considering Broad Trademark Protection Under The Lanham Act,” IP Frontline (April 2013)
- “Design Patents Should Be Part of Your IP Arsenal,” Orange County Business Journal (July 2012)
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- Best Lawyers in America, 2021-2024
- State Bar and Orange County Bar Association awards for outstanding pro bono legal services (1993 and 1994)
- Southern California “Super Lawyer” 2007-2014
- Southern California “Super Lawyer” Business Edition, 2012
- Southern California “Super Lawyer” Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010
- AV® Preemininent™ rating with LexisNexis/Martindale Hubbell
- Former Director, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Orange County Chapter
- Former Director, Federal Bar Association, Orange County
- Judge Pro Tem, Orange County Superior Court
- Delegate to the California State Bar Conference of Delegates from 1990 to 1993
- United Way Fundraising Coordinator (1997 and 1998)
Memberships & Associations
- The Howard T. Markey Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Orange County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association