Ronald Oines has a broad litigation and intellectual property practice, including in the areas of patent, trade secret, trademark, copyright, right of publicity, unfair competition, business torts, contract, defamation and consumer class actions.
Ron has significant trial and appellate experience in the federal and state courts as well as alternative dispute resolution forums such as the American Arbitration Association and JAMS. In addition to litigation, his experience includes advising companies on intellectual property matters and drafting contracts and licensing agreements. He also has spoken and written several articles on various intellectual property topics.
He was an Editor for the Arizona State Law Journal and, in 1988, worked as a full-time Judicial Extern to Judge Stephen Reinhardt of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in patent infringement litigation and post grant proceedings, including in the fields of consumer electronics, computer hardware, software and methods, RFID technology, musical instruments, laser drilling systems, various medical devices and processes, pharmaceuticals, sporting goods, construction materials and tobacco products.
- Represented clients in trademark litigation and opposition proceedings in numerous industries.
- Represented clients in copyright matters involving software, motion pictures, photographs, screenplays, apparel and other original works.
- Represented various companies and individuals in matters involving misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition.
- Represented companies in right of publicity and unfair business practices actions arising out of use of name and likeness.
- Represented manufacturers of industrial components and consumer electronics in lawsuits involving warranty and other claims.
News & Insights
- “Patent Law Before the Supreme Court in 2014,” Patent Disputes Forum 2014, Sponsored by Daily Journal Corporation and Thomas Reuters (May 6, 2014)
- “Recent Developments in Permanent Injunctions in Patent Cases,” Patent Disputes Forum 2013, Sponsored by Daily Journal Corporation and Thomson Reuters (March 27, 2013)
- “Did You Hear That Trademark? Considering Broad Trademark Protection Under the Lanham Act,” Orange County Business Journal (July 2013)
- “Did You Hear That Trademark? – Considering Broad Trademark Protection Under The Lanham Act,” IP Frontline (April 2013)
- “Design Patents Should Be Part of Your IP Arsenal,” Orange County Business Journal (July 2012)
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- State Bar and Orange County Bar Association awards for outstanding pro bono legal services (1993 and 1994)
- Southern California “Super Lawyer” 2007-2014
- Southern California “Super Lawyer” Business Edition, 2012
- Southern California “Super Lawyer” Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010
- AV® Preemininent™ rating with LexisNexis/Martindale Hubbell
- Former Director, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Orange County Chapter
- Former Director, Federal Bar Association, Orange County
- Judge Pro Tem, Orange County Superior Court
- Delegate to the California State Bar Conference of Delegates from 1990 to 1993
- United Way Fundraising Coordinator (1997 and 1998)
Memberships & Associations
- The Howard T. Markey Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Orange County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association