Deja Hemingway has extensive experience in a wide variety of commercial real estate transactions. Deja has particular expertise in handling all aspects of real estate financing, leasing and purchase and sale transactions.
She frequently handles commercial real estate finance transactions on behalf of borrowers, including acquisition, construction and permanent financing for developers, credit facilities, and Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae loans, from the loan commitment stage through negotiation of loan documentation and the closing process. She has been involved with numerous workouts and restructurings relating to financing transactions. She also regularly assists out-of-state clients with local counsel financing opinions and out-of-state lenders’ counsel with loan document review related to California law provisions.
Deja’s leasing experience includes negotiation and documentation of retail and restaurant space leases, ground leases, office leases, and industrial leases. She also handles all facets of the administration of leases, including negotiation and documentation of assignments, subleases, subordination and non-disturbance agreements, estoppels, and lease amendments.
Her practice often includes the acquisition and disposition of multifamily, office, shopping center and other commercial properties, from the letter of intent stage through negotiation of purchase and sale documentation, due diligence analysis, and the closing process. In connection with all aspects of her real estate practice, She regularly analyzes and resolves complex title insurance matters and oversees and documents the structuring and formation of all types of business entities.
- Negotiate loan documents in connection with acquisition, construction and permanent financing for developers of multi-family, retail and industrial projects, and draft and negotiate opinion letters, organizational documents and financing agreements in connection therewith. Involved in numerous workouts and restructurings in connection with financing arrangements.
- Prepare and negotiate retail, restaurant, and office leases and other leasing-related agreements on behalf of landlords and tenants.
- Prepare and negotiate purchase and sale agreements for a large residential developers relating both to the acquisition of vacant land for new development and to the acquisition of existing projects for renovation of multi-family housing. Perform title and due diligence analysis including, among other things, review of title reports and surveys. Coordinate closings between residential developers, sellers and sellers’ counsel, lending entities, and escrow companies.
- Prepare and negotiate loan documentation, review and analyze borrowers’ formation documents, perform title analysis, and coordinate closings for a large financial institution in connection with various commercial loans for the acquisition and development of real estate.
- Negotiate and prepare construction contracts and architect agreements for developers in connection with the development of residential properties throughout the State of California.
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
Orange County Bar Association – Real Estate Section