Rutan’s Infrastructure/Public-Private Partnerships (P3) practice group is an industry leader in guiding its clients through some of the country’s most complex and innovative public building, transportation, transit, power and water infrastructure projects.
We have over a century of expertise in government and regulatory law, real estate banking and finance, and construction law, which makes it uniquely suited to advise its clients on every detail of taking a project from pre-bid to completion.
Our attorneys also have extensive experience in P3 and design-build, with deep and recent involvement advising industry participants concerning all facets of projects, including but not limited to financing, procurement, risk analysis and mitigation, contract drafting, contract management, and life-cycle energy efficiency incentives.
Recent representative projects include serving as lead construction counsel for the California High-Speed Rail Authority, as well as the Long Beach Civic Center Project and the UC Merced 2020 Campus Expansion Project. The California High-Speed Rail Project involves innovative design-build delivery and is the largest rail project in U.S. history, estimated to cost in excess of $60 billion.
We assisted the design-build entity on the Long Beach Civic Center P3 Project in achieving commercial close on the project – the second P3 Social Infrastructure project to attain commercial close in the US.
We also recently assisted the design-build entity on the UC Merced 2020 Project in achieving commercial and financial close. The UC Merced 2020 Project is the largest master development P3 social infrastructure project to date in the US.
We are currently assisting on the following P3 projects: City of Napa Civic Center, a California power development, a California water treatment plant and a California harbor development.
Our recent experience with innovative infrastructure delivery also includes the Detroit Streetcar P3 Project, which is a hybrid publicly and privately financed effort to reinvigorate downtown Detroit with its first light rail system, the Houston Metro Rail Project, San Diego’s Brown Field International Airport Business Park Project, the Sonoma-Marin Area Regional Transit Rail Project, the Poseidon Huntington Beach Ocean Desalinization Water Project, and the Orange County Water District’s Groundwater Replenishment System Project.
We also have been at the forefront of design-build and P3 delivery method innovation and promotion. Since 2012, we have hosted a leading symposium on design-build and P3 to promote innovation in the construction industry. The symposium brings together industry leaders to discuss cutting-edge issues in construction. Videos from recent symposiums are available at the hyperlinks below:
- To view the video of 2019 US P3 & Design-Build Market Updates, click here.
- To view the video of P3 Developments and Outlook: 2017, click here.
- To view the video of the Public-Private Partnerships: 2016 and Beyond, click here.
- To view the video of Public-Private Partnerships: 2015 and Beyond, click here.
- To view the video of P3 Developments 2014, click here.
- To view Part 1 of the Future of P3 in the US 2013, click here. To view Part 2 of the Future of P3 in the US 2013, click here.
- To view videos of the Design Build Symposium 2012, click here.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Government and Regulatory Law
- Land use and entitlements
- Life-cycle energy efficiency incentives
- Project security
- Risk allocation and management