Ellis Wasson’s practice emphasizes mergers and acquisitions, taxation, tax litigation, financings, and general corporate practice.
Areas of Expertise
- Taxation and Tax Controversy – More than 25 years of diversified tax and tax controversy experience including a broad range of industry and specialized technical expertise. Experience includes tax planning and compliance consulting for clients ranging from individuals to multi-national public companies. Matters include federal, state, multi-state, and international income tax issues as well as state and local matters. Tax Controversy experience includes representation of clients before the IRS, FTB, SBE, and many other administrative agencies, as well as before the United States Tax Court, and Multi-state Tax Commission.
- Mergers and Acquisitions – Representation of clients in taxable and non-taxable acquisitions, spin-offs, assets sales, stock sales, 338 transactions, tax-free reorganizations, leveraged buy outs, de-SPAC transactions, including management-led transactions, and various corporate restructuring transactions. Particular emphasis on transaction design and structuring to achieve tax advantaged and tax efficient results. Experience assisting clients expand operations in multi-state and international contexts as well as inbound transactions.
- General Corporate Practice – Assist a broad range of clients with general corporate matters including corporate governance, administrative compliance, general business and contract issues, equity based compensation planning and compliance, shareholder agreements, financings, succession planning, and related matters. Extensive experience working with clients in the food industry, particularly wholesale seafood, also real estate, distribution, medical device manufacturers, motor sports and retail.
News & Insights
- Debt and Flow-Through Tax Entities, Orange County Register, September 2014
- Tax Representations, Warranties, Covenants and Indemnification Provisions in Merger and Acquisition Documents, Orange County Business Journal, January 2014
- Selecting and Forming Business Entities, California CEB Guide
- Limited Partnerships, California CEB Guide
- Counseling California Corporations: Chapter 2 “Advising the Board” (Co-Authors Rachel Simon and Michael Page), Chapter 3 “Avoiding Managment Liability” (Co-Author Brad Martinson), and Chapter 9 “Establishing a Corporate Compliance Program” (Co-Author Andrew Harline), California CEB Guide
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- State Bar of California
- Orange County Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Tax and Corporate Sections)
- Certified Public Accountant, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants