Clients look to trial partner Proud Usahacharoenporn for advice when faced with business disputes, including disputes involving contracts, real property, class actions, insurance coverage, business and intentional torts, unfair competition, and intellectual property. She counsels clients through the litigation process, with a focus on getting her clients the results they want while balancing their business concerns such as controlling costs and maintaining relationships. Her dedication to putting her client’s needs first have led to the Southern California Super Lawyers recognizing her as a Rising Star for the past four years in a row.
Some of the victories Proud has achieved for her clients include:
- Prevailing in a hotly-disputed trial to enforce a real property agreement that resulted in a judgment awarding her client a 10-acre property, damages, attorneys’ fees, and costs.
- Successfully defending an entertainment company against its former Vice President, who sued the company for compensation, resulting in a jury verdict that denied the opposing party’s claim for compensation and awarded damages to her client.
- Prevailing at trial in a federal lawsuit filed on behalf of an insured against its insurer for fire insurance coverage, resulting in an award of approximately $1 million in favor of her client.
- Obtaining a complete victory for a client in an easement and water rights dispute after substituting in as new counsel only weeks before trial, even though the client’s prior counsel had advised the client to settle because there was little chance of prevailing.
- Successfully representing a national health supplement company against a multi-million dollar class action, achieving a denial of class certification and an early resolution of the case in favor of the client.
Proud is also actively engaged in community outreach and pro bono work. She has served on a number of local boards, most currently as a member of the Board of Directors of the Orange County Women Lawyers Association, and dedicates time to furthering the needs of the Southern California Asian American community. Through her pro bono work, Proud has also represented non-profit organizations, victims of domestic violence, and low-income tenants.
News & Insights
- Moderator, “How to Choose and Use Outside Counsel Effectively,” TABA In-House Counsel Committee, April 2022
- Moderator, “Diversity on the Bench,” OCWLA, May 2021
- Speaker, “Getting The Most Out Of Your Virtual Depositions & Mediations,” OCWLA, July 2020
- Panelist, “How to Take Depositions Virtually,” OCBA Webinar, April 2020
- Panelist, “California ChangeLawyers Leadership Summit,” April 2019
- Speaker, Sonenshine Pro Bono Reception, November 2017
- Panelist, “Pro Bono Training: Eviction Defense for Low Income Tenants,” Public Law Center, October 2012
- COVID-19: The Impossibly Impractical Force Majeure Frustrating Business Contracts Everywhere, Orange County Business Journal, March 2020
- The Abundance of Data Breach Class Actions Demonstrates the Importance of Implementing Cybersecurity Protocols and Procedures, April 2017
- It Appears The Law is Trending Towards Providing Fewer Privacy Protections to Individuals, October 2016
- California Supreme Court Broadens the Fraud Exception to the Parol Evidence Rule, Orange County Business Journal, April 2013
- Usahacharoenporn, P. E.P. v. Alaska Psychiatric Institute: The Evolution of Involuntary Civil Commitments from Treatment to Punishment, 28 Alaska L. Rev. 189 (2011)
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- Orange County Coalition for Diversity in the Law, Top Young Diverse Lawyer of OC, 2021
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, 2017-2021
- Recipient, OneOC Spirit of Volunteerism 2012 Outstanding Volunteer Award
Memberships & Associations
- Former President and Board of Advisors, Backhausdance of Orange County
- Member of the Board of Directors, Orange County Women Lawyers Association
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- Member and Former Vice President, Thai American Bar Association
- Member, Orange County Asian American Bar Association