Leveraging almost 15 years of experience, Seth Jessee provides strategic counseling to companies and senior executives in their most significant and sensitive litigation and investigative matters. Mr. Jessee has served in a variety of complex business matters, including defending Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes disputes; recovering tens of millions of dollars on behalf of defrauded investors; and general counsel for Boston Market and Corner Bakery. He is highly experienced in business disputes involving trademark infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, breach of contract, fraud, antitrust, and partnership dissolution. As a skilled trial lawyer who has litigated across the country and managed litigation matters in-house as general counsel, Mr. Jessee is uniquely positioned to bring high-stakes disputes to positive resolutions for clients.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal on behalf of manufacturer of raw collagen material in lawsuit brought by competitor for alleged false advertising.
- Represented appraisal management company against claims for trade secret misappropriation brought by competitor
- Obtained multiple trademark infringement judgments as part of ongoing representation of leading automotive industry company.
- Obtained favorable settlement in defense of leading custodian bank in state court action alleging damages for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and Uniform Securities Act violations arising from securities lending practices.
- Obtained favorable settlement of tort and breach of contract claims brought by two groups of hedge funds against their former hedge fund administrator.
- Obtained confirmation of $25 million arbitration award issued in favor of European bank in a matter involving account holder claims arising from fraud committed by investment advisor whose clients kept assets with the bank.
- Obtained favorable settlements for Citibank in multiple consumer class actions and State Attorneys General lawsuits arising out of credit card add-on products.
- Obtained class certification and rejection of defendants’ motion for summary judgment on behalf of lead plaintiffs and class members in prosecution of securities fraud class action challenging disclosures by Liquidity Services, Inc. related to the organic growth of the company.
- Represented lead plaintiffs and class members in securing a $20 million settlement against Genworth Financial, Inc. challenging disclosures regarding the financial stability and adequacy of loss reserves in the company’s Australian mortgage insurance subsidiary.
- Defense of underwriting syndicate in securities fraud class action challenging disclosures in the initial public offering of Refco stock. The United States District Court for the Southern District of New York dismissed certain claims on the grounds that the Securities Act of 1933 did not apply to Rule 144A private placements.
- Obtained a favorable civil settlement that was 13x less than regulatory settlement with the SEC in defense of Goldman Sachs in securities fraud class action concerning allegations of self-dealing by conducting proprietary orders for their own accounts to the disadvantage of public orders.
- Represented construction management firm in DOJ investigation of historical labor union billing practices.
- Represented J.P. Morgan in connection with investigations relating to “London Whale” trading losses in its synthetic portfolio.
- Represented financial institution in response to OCC supervisory letters and investigatory requests concerning mortgage servicing and vendor management.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Rutan & Tucker, LLP.
News & Insights
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Orange County Bar Association
- American Bar Association