Thomas Salinger specializes in construction, landslide, real estate, title insurance and commercial litigation including financial instrument litigation. He is the past head of the firm’s Litigation and Trial Section, co-chair of the firm’s Construction Law Practice Group and is an active member of the firm’s Corporate Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights Group.
Tom represents public and private owners, developers, contractors, financial institutions, design professionals, title insurers, product suppliers and others in all types of construction, real estate, and business litigation. He has extensive experience in state and federal courts, and alternative dispute resolution.
Areas of Expertise
- Construction and Landslide Litigation
- Commercial and Real Estate Litigation
- Financial Instrument Litigation
- Representation of homeowners in numerous construction defect and landslide cases. Obtained a verdict, which was confirmed on appeal, of approximately $7.5 million on behalf of the owners of two homes and a lender.
- Representation of public agency in landslide litigation involving over 250 homes and claims in excess of $150 million.
- Representation of design engineer in connection with parking structure ramp collapse during earthquake.
- Representation of public agency in connection with claims resulting from sports stadium damaged by earthquake.
- Representation of a lender in massive landslide litigation involving significant impairment of security issues.
- Representation of developer in a series of over 25 cases involving allegations of multi-million dollar construction defect claims involving a residential development.
- Representation of public agency in contractual dispute over the use of a sports stadium parking lot. Case was in trial for more than one year and resulted in a published Appellate Court opinion affirming public agency’s position.
- Representation of design engineer in connection with dispute with Cal Trans involving highway construction project.
- Representation of financial institution that successfully asserted D’Oench Duhme defense and was subsequently awarded judgment on a guaranty in excess of $2.5 million.
- Representation of California Bankers Association in successfully petitioning California Supreme Court to depublish Appellate Court opinion that had significant adverse consequences on lenders’ ability to enforce guarantees.
News & Insights
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- “Landslide Litigation – The True Cost OF That View”, Daily Journal, March 2010
- “Catcher In The Court”, Daily Journal, November 2000
- Lecturer at California Continuing Education of the Bar “Landslide and Subsidence Litigation”
- Lecturer at Financial Institution Section of Orange County Bar Association “Recent Trends in Enforcement of Guarantees”
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- Southern California “Super Lawyer”
- Southern California “Super Lawyer” Corporate Counsel Edition
- Chairman, Goodwill of Orange County Board of Directors
Memberships & Associations
- Ninth Judicial Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association