Vijay Pai is the head of the firm’s Real Estate Section. Vijay has substantial experience representing lenders, developers, owners and landlords in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of real estate and finance transactions.
Vijay has represented institutional lenders, second lien lenders and borrowers in a broad range of finance transactions including real estate secured loans (construction, permanent, mezzanine and affordable housing loans) and non-real estate secured asset-based and second lien financing transactions. His practice also includes representing buyers and sellers in connection with the acquisition and sale of real property with a special emphasis on multi-family housing properties and industrial projects.
Areas of Expertise
- Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Sales
- Asset Based Loans
- Affordable Housing Developments
- Acquisition, disposition and financing of multi-family housing properties and commercial office properties.
- Drafting and negotiating loan documentation for both lenders and borrowers in connection with real estate secured financings (including in connection with private and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans) and asset-based or cash flow loans.
- Loan restructures, workouts, foreclosures and deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure.
- Entity formation, including limited and general partnerships, joint ventures, limited liability companies and corporations.
- Representative clients include multifamily housing owners and operators, landlords, institutional lenders, finance companies, private real estate investors, and general businesses.
News & Insights
- “Staying Off the Hook – Managing the Evolving Bad-Boy Guaranty,” Orange County Business Journal, November 2014
- Non-Recourse Loans & Bad Boy Guaranties, Orange County Register, October 2014
- Moderator, The Value Add Proposition- Trends in Multifamily Rehab Projects, Marcus & Millichap/Institutional Property Advisors 2015 Multifamily Forum: Southern, CA, June 2015
- Speaker, Non-Recourse Loans and Guaranties – “Bad Boys and Debt – A Real Estate Tale,” YPA360 Conference, University of California Irvine, August 2012
Awards & Affiliations
Awards & Honors
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, 2013-2018
Memberships & Associations
- Orange County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors of Youth Employment Services, Inc.
- South Asian Bar Association