Alejandro S. Angulo
Alejandro Angulo’s practice consists of general business and civil litigation, as well as consulting with clients on pre-litigation and transactional matters. As a business litigator, Alejandro’s experience includes both jury and non-jury trials and prosecuting and defending his clients’ interests in various pre-trial matters, including dispositive motions and injunctive relief.
As a member of Rutan & Tucker’s “Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group,” he also handles intellectual property litigation and related matters. He has represented a broad range of clients, including high-net worth individuals and publicly held companies, in state and federal courts, administrative proceedings and private arbitrations.
Alejandro supported his undergraduate studies as a professional jazz bassist, performing at various jazz venues throughout Southern California. He was also the principal bassist for the Long Beach State University Orchestra. Currently, he plays upright bass in a jazz group called “The SMART Jazz Execs,” which is a band comprised of local executives. This band raises money to support music and art programs for underprivileged children in Orange County. To learn more about The SMART Jazz Execs and its contribution to the community, click here. Most recently, Alejandro participated with Chris Clark, founder of The Smart Foundation, on the radio show Critical Mass. To listen to the show, click here.
Alejandro was selected by OC Metro Magazine as one of their “40 Under 40” for 2011. He received this honor based on a string of successes he obtained for his clients through his zealous advocacy and his active involvement in various pro bono matters. Through his pro bono work, Alejandro has assisted, among others, individuals involved in domestic disputes and non-profit organizations achieve their community goals.
- As lead counsel in a multi-week trial involving a complicated real estate investment fraud scheme, Mr. Angulo obtained for his client a multi-million dollar judgment for securities violations, fraud, breach of fiduciary and related claims. The judgment also includes the permanent removal of the party who engaged in the fraudulent scheme as manager of one of the investments.
- Obtained multi-million dollar award for shareholder in contentious dispute after shareholder was unceremoniously squeezed out by the remaining shareholders.
- In a jury trial, successfully defended the seller of a high-end residence against claims of intentionally and negligently concealing and failing to disclose material information about the home to the buyers.
- After aggressively defending a client in a trademark action, obtained a very favorable settlement on behalf of the client, which did not require the client to pay any money to the plaintiff.
- Successfully opposed a fact intensive writ of mandate through which the petitioner sought to gain control of the client’s business.
- Obtained a judgment, which includes claims for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty, on behalf of a commercial real estate owner.
- Successfully prosecuted claims for breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty on behalf of a client and against former employees, directors and stockholders arising out of a stock purchase agreement. Shortly before arbitration, the case was settled on exceedingly favorable terms.
- Obtained a dismissal for a software developer client who was sued by one of its end users for various claims, including breach of contract and fraud.
News & Insights
- Know Where You’re Going,” Orange County Register, September 2014
- “Cutting Your Technology Budget Can Have Legal Costs,” Daily Journal publication, (February 2011)
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, “Covering Your Digital Assets and Avoiding Litigation,” USC/Harvard Business Growth Conference, May 2011.
- “Social Media and Data Security: The Perilious HR Tightrope,” Professionals and Human Resources Association, Los Angeles Chapter, May 2010.
- Panelist, “It’s a Digital World: Practical Ideas to Cover Your A$$ets,” USC/Harvard Business Growth Conference, May 2010.
- “A New Age in Electronic Marketing”, Presented with Susan Barricella to the Orange County Public Relations Association of America, January 2004.
Awards & Affiliations
Memberships & Associations
- Orange County Bar Association
- Orange County Hispanic Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Section